Wednesday, September 9, 2015

High School Me


The week had been such a blurr. Mom and I had frantically tried to prepare me for the PSAT but with only a week of preparing the likelihood of a real successful score was slim to none. Test taking just isn't for me so my short term dream of becoming a National Merit Scholar just needed to end. The last part of the mini exam was a career study. Supposedly, my answers would indicate the type of field I should venture into as an adult. Filling in the bubbles on my scantron felt pointless. I already knew I wanted to be an interior designer. The decision had been made up in my mind only recently but it was firm. There was nothing else I wanted to pursue.

That took place junior year of high school. I was utterly convinced that I wanted to pursue a career in interior design. When senior year came, I was on the path to doing just that. I checked out schools that had the program and began to research them. I sent in five college applications and waited. During the wait, my parents and I read brochures, and visited a couple schools. I had my eyes on Baylor at first, but after a weekend at TCU I fell for the campus. Not too much later, I put my feet on the campus of OU and couldn't believe I felt myself loving it too. Ultimately, I chose OU. The sweet and simple of it was that God closed doors elsewhere. I received five acceptance letters but only one came to me with incredible peace. The day my dad and I pulled out of my home in Spring Branch-Houston, Texas, I felt a part of my life end and a new one begin. It was frightening and exhilarating but becoming an interior designer was now no longer a dream. 



It's crazy to think about high school me. I was talking to my littlest sister, who is now a junior in high school, about how her days are spent. She became a cheerleader last year, something I never would have been brave enough to do back in my high school. She has some fun classes, and I was so boring that I took study hall every semester of every year, getting homework done at school? Yes please. I spent my evenings studying by our pool in my bikini or babysitting and she goes on adventures and spends time at the beach. It's crazy to me that she is now walking a path I've already walked. How friends, where does time go? On the weekends I could generally be found babysitting. I did spent a lot of time with my girlfriends but if a babysitting gig came up, I usually chose that over them, only because I was determined to make my own money. I remember I couldn't wait to get out of high school by senior year, I was so done. My senior year english teacher said, you spend four years here trying to get out and you'll spend the rest of your life trying to get back. I thought that was the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard.

I get it now.

Not that I want to go back to high school,  quite the contrary, but I do cherish those memories more and more as I "grow up." High school was one of my favorite parts of life. I felt like I was on the set of Boy Meets World all the time,  okay not really but growing up watching that show made me idealize high school. I had a bunch of girlfriends, and never was very close with any guys (reference my scrapbooks). We were each others' whole worlds. 

Every now and then a song comes on that radio that was popular during high school and a memory sparks in my mind. Some of my favorite song related memories are my girlfriends and I jamming out in our cars, windows down and singing into our microphoneshands. High school doesn't last a lifetime, and I don't find myself trying to get back, but the memories I made in high school will stay with me forever.

Reflecting on high school is fun and so sweet for me. If I were to write a letter to myself then I would have simply said to keep on at it. I did my own thing a lot. I wore too many strange outfits. I was most definitely an awkward girl. But, it is all a part of my story and I wouldn't change a thing.


 I recently deleted all the pictures I still had on my computer since my high school scrapbooks are now complete. I have shared about high school in the past though so have no fear you can see what high school me looked like,hint it's not much different from now.

Blog posts about my high school days:
If you knew me in high school
Highschool Friendships
Prom Night
This is my Story



Catch up on #blogtemberchallenge


Brave Love Blog

3 comments:

  1. What a wonderful post Veronica. I think I know what you mean about High School memories, except mine are from College. I was such a loner in Secondary School (Scottish High School) I only had time for my books and talking to people was time away from my books :) I didn't got to College though until I was 29 and I absolutely loved my time there. I have so many fabulous memories and I too wouldn't change a thing :) Thank you for sharing, blogtember has been such fun so far :) Sending heaps of hugs xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. I totally idealized high school too! Boy Meets World, Saved by the Bell, and Full House did me in. High school is nothing like that, but still fun! Haha. Loved reading this!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't think I was exactly the biggest fan of high school--but when I was in high school, I was living in Malaysia, and I really liked that aspect. College, I liked much more from the academic and social standpoints--it was more fun and less work and I got to study what I enjoyed. Win! haha....

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Popular Posts

Pin It button on image hover