Monday, August 31, 2015

Speech, Conduct, Love, Faith, Purity

Girls I met my first year in college that changed my life.

Students poured onto campus and spilled through the streets of Norman last week. Norman seems to have come back to life and feels full once again. Don't get me wrong, I enjoy our summers of less cars and the grocery stores usually fully stocked, but when the students come back, Norman feels put back together again.

Between finishing my college freshmen scrapbook and the students coming back, I've been feeling reminiscent of those first days my feet walked on campus. I recall the feel anxiety but excitement. Wondering about every person I met, and bewildered by how many people I already felt so close to. There were classes to figure out, and Bible studies to try out. I remember grabbing every piece of paper that said anything about college student ministries. I'd get back to my too-quiet dorm room and look through them all, discarding some and staring at others. My schedule was filled with churches and organizations to attend.

With every new start to a college semester that I don't go back to school, I realize more fully what an opportunity it is to minister to the heart of college students. This time is the time of their lives! It's the first time, for most of them, to be a part from mom and dad and be making decisions on their own. It's all up to them to go to church or ministry related activities. They're vulnerable and impressionable but also know how to stand on their own two feet now. They're eager and hesitant. They're shaping who they are with every single day and every event they participate in.

Whether you live in a college town or not, would you pray for the heart of college students around our nation, and globe! Pray their hearts would wrestle them out of beds for Sunday mornings. Pray the people the come into contact with would spur them on towards Christ. Pray they choose for themselves to own their faith. Pray they would reach those around them who don't know God. Pray they would be leaders that lead out of their dependence on Jesus. Pray they would look different by their speech, conduct, love, faith and purity.

They've got four years to make a difference where they are.


Don't let anyone look down on you because you are young, but set an example for the believers in speech, in conduct, in love, in faith and in purity.
1 Timothy 4:12

2 comments:

  1. Amen, amen, and AMEN.
    My university years were definitely the ones where I grew in my faith the most.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Popular Posts

Pin It button on image hover