Friday, April 17, 2015

The Pacifier Tree







When I went on search for the Mirror House, I had no idea I would stumble upon a possibly even more intriguing site. As I got close to the kids play area of Faelledparen, I noticed there was a rather colorful tree, I was on mission to find the mirror house though so I pushed past it. Afterwards, though, I just had to stop at look. I thought it was decorated for a birthday or something but as I got closer I saw colorful pacifiers hanging all over it. Some were wrapped up in plastic, and paired with notes written in Danish. Fascinated, I took a number of pictures and made a point to look it up when I got home.

At the age of three years old, in nearly every Danish household, you give up your pacifier. Parents have accomplished this sometimes difficult task with the Pacifier Tree. As the child grows, they're introduced to the tree. When the finally turn three, the idea of giving up their pacifier to the tree is actually exciting.Toddlers package up one or all their pacifiers, and some even write a farewell note. 

Mystery solved.

These trees have become rather popular and are in many of the large parks in Copenhagen (and throughout Denmark and Sweden). I found on in the Frederiksberg park near our home and it was massive. It had it's own little section too, instead of just being a random tree. Almost as if it was placed there for the very reason to be used as the pacifier tree, or "sucky tree" as I've seen it directly translated. It's been followed back to as early as the 1920s but more information seems to lead to the 1960s, according to the City Room blog (link below).

It was fun to see families walk up together and chat, then leave behind their precious pacifiers.

What do you think? Would you do this with your family? Have you seen the one in New York? 

Articles I read:
Food and Culture Blog: Copenhagen's Pacifier Tree
Classic Copenhagen: The Pacifier Tree
City Room: Covered in Pacifiers... (about a tree in New York)


Following our time in Copenhagen?
one-Arriving in Copenhagen: The first bike ride
two-A Sunday together: Discovering Nyhavn, a church, Amalienborg, and more
three-Monday & Tuesday: my first days while Kevin is at work. Exploring the city by a run, seeing historical sites, and some new architecture. 
four-The little home we lived in
five-Wednesday & Thursday & Friday: More exploration of the city


4 comments:

  1. That's actually a pretty good idea - anything that makes it seem positive vs. sad to the child is great, I think!

    Our local radio DJ told his kids when they turned a certain age that the paci fairy would take them to give to new babies. He said it worked well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is actually a very cool idea! I know for a lot of mommies and daddies, they dread the day they have to take the paci away - this makes it a cool right of passage for the kid! Love it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, I've never heard of anything like this! How interesting!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Popular Posts

Pin It button on image hover