Thursday, March 26, 2015

This Makes No Sense


Sometimes God asks us to do something that makes no sense to us.

I was reading Jeremiah 13, verses 1 through 11 the other day. God tells Jeremiah to go and buy a belt, wear it and don't allow it to touch water. Later He tells him to take the belt and hide it in the rocks of Perath. Still later, God tells him to go and fetch it from it's hiding place, of course by now it was ruined. In the same way I will ruin the pride of Judah and the great pride of Jerusalem, God says in verse nine. All of that was simply an illustration to explain and teach Jeremiah about God's  upcoming course of action. It was a lesson.

I can imagine Jeremiah thinking, what God? This makes no sense, you want me to buy a belt, wear it and then hide it? And now, now it's ruined. So now that's wasted money. Or at least, I know that's what I'd be thinking.

Have you ever found God asking you to do something that seems ridiculous and yet later you see why? Sometimes there's days or even months to years between following His instruction and later seeing the result. Yet, there's always something God will reveal to your heart at some point in time.

I know this has been true in my own life. He's asked me to give things away, go somewhere, do something specific...and oh the number of times I've thought,  this is ridiculous, or ugh, I'm really not in the mood right now. In fact, I know there's been a number of times where I've just flat out ignored God and moved on with "my plans," which of course take me no where. God always finds a way to bring you back to His intentions.

You may think something is ridiculous, annoying, or a disruption even to your plans or your agenda but God's way always, always, has plans outside what you can even imagine or understand. Follow His leading. Then share what He's taught you. Not in a way that boasts of yourself and your "great" faith, but boasting of the Sovereign King who STILL reigns on high.

This is what the Lord says, 
let not the WISE man boast of his WISDOM,
or the STRONG man boast of his STRENGTH,
or the RICH man boast of his RICHES,
BUT let him who boasts boast about this,
that he UNDERSTANDS, and KNOWS me,
that I am the LORD, who exercises 
KINDNESS, JUSTICE, RIGHTEOUSNESS
on earth, for in these I delight, 
declares the Lord.
Jeremiah 9: 23-24

4 comments:

  1. This happens to me all the time. I pray often to be spirit prompted...so when I am...sometimes I'm like "uhhh really God" but what comfort we have with His promises. I am such a planner and always struggle with wanting to know the big picture--but it is a blessing to know that HE knows my big picture...and I need to trust in the journey.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yep, I was internally rolling my eyes as i thought about wasting that belt that wasn't even mine despite the fact that GOD freaking said so. That's a ME problem. It's hard to listen to Him sometimes, despite all common sense.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a pretty awesome thing about Him--the way he teaches us that we aren't the know-it-alls that we think we are--and that we don't need to be because He really is, we just need to trust Him.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Popular Posts

Pin It button on image hover