Wednesday, April 2, 2014

Ways to Save - Camera Gear


Click here to download (you must have a google account to see it)


I honestly look forward to Lauren's new month floral background EVERY month this year. I put it up on my work computer since I'm not close to a window and it just makes me smile whenever I see. It's almost as good as having a fresh bouquet on my desk every day! 

Today, Lauren is back to share more about all that gear you'll be tempted to buy after making the DSLR purchase. I know Kevin and I talked a lot about which items we wanted to get first, and what ones we would look into later. You'll definitely want to read today's post because Lauren has made those decisions much more simpler! 

Thanks Lauren!


Hello, hello! I'm Lauren, owner of Lauren Werkheiser Photography and in case you've missed previous posts, I've been writing a mini-series for Veronica's blog that Ihope is making it a little bit easier to pick out camera gear and narrow down your choices! If you're interested, you can read part one here (Choosing the best DSLR for you) and part two here (Narrowing down your lens choices). 

Camera gear can be very expensive. If you're looking to buy your first DSLR camera, you might even be shocked at some of the prices. There are a few way to save some money and while they may not be for everyone, it's a good idea to consider them. 

Buy used

Buying used gear can definitely be a risk, but if it's one you're willing to take, it can save you a whole lot of money. While you can buy used gear at online stores such as amazon, there are many speciality stores that you can walk into that also sell used gear, and in my opinion, it's a safer bet. If you buy used gear from a store you can actually visit, you can more than likely test it out before you buy it.

Buy refurbished

When you buy refurbished gear it usually means that it has been returned by a customer due to a defect or because the customer was not satisfied with it. The manufacturer than sent the camera in to be repaired, etc. In my opinion, buying refurbished gear is a much safer option than buying used gear, and it can still save you money. If you decide to purchase a refurbished item, I would suggest shopping around for different prices as they can vary. You might find at item at one store that is similar in price to a brand new version of that item and you might find the same refurbished item at another store for a much lower cost. The nice thing about refurbished gear, is that there is a good chance you will still have a warranty (depending on the store you buy it from).

Order online

You can often find really good deals online and camera gear is no exception. Whether it's a retail store or an online only store like amazon, I'm sure you can find gear at an exceptional discount. If you're not comfortable buying online, see if a brick and mortar store will price match. 

Consider third party

As I mentioned in the previous post, buying third party can often save you money. This is especially true if you're looking to buy a camera lens. Most lenses are not interchangeable. This means you can't use a Nikon lens on a Canon camera body (unless you buy an adapter, which I don't recommend). However, there are third party companies - such as Tamron or Sigma - that make lenses that are compatible with your Nikon/Canon/etc. camera. While the prices are not always lower, they often are. Third party companies are also a great option if you're looking to buy a certain lens that isn't made by the manufacturer of your camera.

Know what you want to buy

This may sound obvious, but go into a store with an idea of what you want to buy. When I purchased my first DSLR camera, I was talked into buying quite a few unnecessary items that I ended up not needing. I learned my lesson and since then I've always gone into a store knowing what camera or what lenses or what accessories I wanted, and left only with that. This alone will save you money (or at least help you stick to your budget), because you won't be buying items that you didn't plan on purchasing or accessories that you may end up not using/liking. As I've mentioned in both posts before this, do your research!

I hope you found this post helpful! If you have any other questions, please don't hesitate to get in touch. I would love to help you out :)


post signature

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Popular Posts

Pin It button on image hover