Tuesday, March 18, 2014

So you're buying a DSLR...

Not too long ago Kevin and I made an investment in our collection of technologies and purchase a DSLR, much to my dismay. I have to say, that decision process was incredibly tedious, difficult and just plain confusing. There are SO many options and SO many price points.
I wished I had talk to Lauren when we were going through that process then but lucky for you, she's going to be here on the blog sharing with you everything about DSLRs. She has definitely done her research and will be sharing some wonderful advice and tips. I'm so excited to have her here! 
You may have noticed her button on the side bar recently. Lauren used to have her own blog but she's since made some changes and now has a professional photography site. Go check her out! She's got some awesome photos and does wonderful work. If you're in the northeast area call her up!
Enough from me though, let's hear from Lauren! Take it away girl!
Hi, everyone! I'm Lauren, owner of Lauren Werkheiser Photography, and I'm so honored that Veronica asked me to guest post on her blog. When she asked me if I could write a post about tips for choosing your first DSLR camera, I knew exactly what to share since these are questions I've asked myself more than once. With so many different cameras out there, and new models being put out continuously, it can be difficult choosing the right DSLR for you. Before going out and purchasing a new camera, there are a few questions that you should ask yourself.





What is my price point?
A good place to start, when it comes to choosing the best DSLR for you, is setting a budget. The price range for camera bodies, and photography gear in general, can go from low (you can buy a very nice quality DSLR camera for under $500) to very high (aka: thousands). When setting your price point, keep in mind that you may want to buy other accessories such as lenses, a camera bag to protect your gear, insurance for your camera, etcetera. That means if your budget is $600 total, don't spend all of it on a camera body. 

What do I need in a camera?
Decide what your camera will mainly be used for. Is for personal or professional use? Do you want a beginner model, something professional, or something in between? This is definitely something you should consider and will help greatly in picking out models to compare.

Does the brand matter?
There are some photographers out there who are die hard Nikon / Canon fans and think only that one brand is the right choice. I disagree. I use Canon. It's what I started with and I love it. Am I going to tell you it's better than Nikon? No. They each have their own attributes and the brand you pick is really just based on personal preference. I think if you stick with one of the two, you will be fine. It's important to keep in mind that the brand of the camera you choose doesn't have much to do with the quality of the images you take - that is all about the person taking the photos!

Have I done my research?
Make sure you do your research before you purchase your camera. For a lot of people, picking the right DSLR is a big decision and you want to make sure you're getting the right one. Once you have narrowed down your choices, go online and check the reviews to make sure it's what you want and to see how other people like them. Some reviews you'll have to take with a grain of salt, but it gives you an idea of what to expect. Compare the models you have picked out, to see which fits you best. I would also suggest walking into a store so you can actually pick up the model and make sure you are comfortable with it. 

I hope you found this post helpful! Please don't hesitate to get in touch if you have any questions - I would love to help you out :)

Website // Twitter

post signature

4 comments:

  1. Thanks so much for having me here, Veronica! I can't wait to see how this series will (hopefully) help some of your readers :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. All great, practical advice! :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Popular Posts

Pin It button on image hover