Thursday, February 20, 2014

The Enemy of Busyness

The Pennington's Home, where we stayed this weekend in Houston

I'm sitting at our table with wet hair, eating dry cereal and doing my Bible study as Kevin makes lunches for the morning. I've only got just a moment, so excuse any punctuation or spelling typos, before I need to dash upstairs and dry my hair, thank goodness it is short now! Lately, I've been reading The Power of the Praying Wife, I've been so encouraged lately about so many aspects of our marriage and challenged about other areas. One hit me hard in the face this morning.

For those of you who've read the book, I'm in the His Affection, chapter. At first I felt this chapter would not be very applicable to us, to Kevin. Kevin is excellent about making sure I am affectionately welcomed every day when I come home from work. He plans for two alarms in the morning, to give us time to cuddle in between. He gives me kisses on the cheek all the time. Kevin is far from lacking in the affection department of marriage. But me? 

The chapter itself was a good read and I did learn from it, but where I learned most was the prayer portion at the end of the chapter. "Change our habits of indifference or busyness" (Omartian, 72). Boom. That hit me. Busyness. All too often I allow my "busyness" to keep me from being affectionately there for my husband, and probably others for that matter.

I'm too busy to stop for a hug, I'm too busy to spend time with just us tonight, I'm too busy to be intentional about being affection.... The list could go on and on and I sit here and think about it, I realize how much I use the word busy.

That hurts.

I hate how much I use the word busy. I hate how much I feel that I am busy. I want to enjoy this life and not feel like I'm constantly jumping from one thing to another. I really hate that my obsession with the word,  busy could be hurting my marriage. 

Think back to the story of Martha and Mary, Luke 10:38-42. Oh how much I have always identified with Martha. Always the one doing and serving, always the busy one. Oh but Jesus says,
"Martha, Martha,...you are worried and upset about may things, but only one this is needed..." (Luke 10:41-42).

As I prayed this morning, I prayed to be protected from the enemy of busyness. I believe busyness truly is an enemy, at least for me. It's a way that the enemy has had a foothold in my life and I'm tired of it. No more. I want to work on not using the word, busy at all. In the moments I feel busyness, I want to pray. In the moments I feel like busyness is taking foothold, I want to change. Oh Lord, Holy Spirit, work in my heart, change me and speak to me, direct me and lead me. Oh Lord, govern my thoughts! May my heart's first yearning be to seek You and not this world and it's busyness.

Matthew 6:33
But seek first the kingdom of God and his righteousness, and all these things will be added to you.




If you find yourself feeling the same, this page has some great verses to encourage you through saying no to busyness. 

post signature

2 comments:

  1. What a beautiful and honest post, dear. It's good to recognize early on when busyness is interfering with good things in your life!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So true! And it applies not only to affection but so many things - I admire your new outlook on it!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Popular Posts

Pin It button on image hover