Monday, January 6, 2014

2014 Goals

I've never really been one for new years resolutions. I'm not sure I have any reason for that but I've just rarely actually made them. On one of the last days of the advent devotional with She Reads Truth, they encouraged us that as a result of all that we had learned and the coming year to make five goals for the year ahead. I almost skipped right past this application part but instead decided to give it a go.

As I've reflected on them over the past week I thought I might refine them with scripture to set my heart in the best place for them and to give them even more purpose and connection to God's heart. As I did so I felt the Holy Spirit really encourage me. As though to say, Veronica these are not too lofty and unattainable, you can do this! You can do this if you trust in Me and you can do this with your heart in the right place. With every part of me I want to work through these. I can't say I know what each of these look like and how they'll be played out in my day to day life but I want to make them real.

Lord, I give these goals to you and I ask that you encourage me through them and give me opportunities to shine Your light through them. This year belongs to you, Lord, and only you. May my heart be ever found in your glory and my hope ever waiting on your Spirit.


Goal #1
Be a stronger ambassador of Christ.
"Be imitators of Me, just as I  also am of Christ."
1 Corinthians 11:1 

I find myself too often saying things that I don't think our Jesus would have, or doing things that don't truly shine His light. I want my life to reflect His. I want people to see Christ, not me when they look at me and watch me. Do you know that classic Steven Curtis Chapman song, The Fingerprints of God? (go listen!) That song has been an encouragement to my heart and a goal for my life since I first heard it on the radio as a child listening to Christian radio in the car with my mom. I want people to see the fingerprints of God when they look at me. 


Goal #2
Slow down and don't be so concerned about what is next.
"Be still and know that I am God."
Psalm 46:10

Oh how deeply I know this is one I need to work on. I find myself constantly caught up in the future, the plans we "need" to make or the ways we "need" to be preparing for xyz. Our days on this earth are numbered. I want to enjoy each day and each moment that the Lord blesses me with, for each day is a gift from Him. {One way in which I hope to work on this goal is to write out something I am thankful for each week in my planner. I'll be posting pictures on instagram and tagging it #52thanks and I would SO love if you would join me!}


Goal #3
 Be more intentional in loving my husband.
The heart of her husband trusts in her and he will lack no gain. She does him good and not harm all the days of her life.
Proverbs 31:11-12

My husband blows me away everyday with his constant caring attitude, selflessness and devotion to me. I want to make sure that I'm not taking that for granted and that he experiences the same kind of love from me. Kevin is the most wonderful gift I've ever been given. I want to show the Lord how much I truly appreciate His gift of our marriage by the way I love my husband.  {One way I am applying this to my day to day is by picking back up my copy of The Power of the Praying Wife book and actually stick to it. I swapped it for another devotional a while back and never finished it, so it's time to start over, re-learn and apply what I learn.}


Goal #4
Give more time to my puppy.
Each of you should look not only to his own interests, but also to the interests of others.
Philippians 2:4

This may seem like a silly goal for some but clearly Paisley Grace is the only child, fur child, in this home. I don't want my puppy girl to be something I take for granted and don't treat lovingly. I want to make sure those in my home are given the best love, attention and compassion than anyone else, including our puppy! I want to prepare my heart now to be selfless towards the "child" I have now. Again, even Paisley is a gift from the Lord and I want to show Him how much I appreciate that gift with the way in which I care for her.


Goal #5
Prioritize and don't over commit.
But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness and all these things will be added to you.
Matthew 6:33

Ohhh boy is this a big one! I'm a yes person. If you're a friend of mine and you ask me for something, you better believe I'll be doing everything within my power to do that for you. I love to give to others, and I love to serve others but I need to learn to say no a little more sometimes. A pastor once explained to me, it's okay to say no, even to the good things. This goal slides in well with the second one and if I am able to correctly apply it then it should allow for goals 1, 3, and 4 to happen more effectively as well.



To sum all my goals up into one, I want to live this life for Christ's glory and show Him love through the way I care for the gifts He's given me on this earth. That is the legacy I want to leave.



Charm can mislead & beauty soon fades, 
the woman to be admired and praised
is the woman who lives
in the Fear-of-GOD.
Proverbs 31:30




post signature

10 comments:

  1. Wow. Is it weird that I'm bookmarking this? Haha, I just want to remember all these things. These are things I want to do too! Great post, friend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've loved reading Christian womens' resolutions this last week - they're so encouraging and real. Thanks for sharing yours :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love that every one of your goals you related to faith and to specific verses from the Bible! That's the ultimate focus of our lives, so it makes sense that all goals should ultimately point toward it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love all of these... So good. Especially number 5, this is my biggest struggle I should make this a bigger priority in my life.

    ReplyDelete
  5. These are some pretty great goals! You can do it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. LOVE this girlie!!!! =D God will sue you to do amazing things this year. I love how you put a scripture with you goal ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Fantastic goals. Love them all, but especially #3! I've never heard of She Reads Truth - will have to check that one out!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great goals, wow.
    Good luck and may 2014 be a wonderful year for you two

    ReplyDelete
  9. These are some fabulous goals! I can't wait to see how they mold and shape you to be more like Christ!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Popular Posts

Pin It button on image hover