Friday, August 2, 2013

While You Were Sleeping

Know that movie?
It's one of my favorites...in fact it makes me smile just thinking about it. 
If you haven't seen it, get on netflix now.

On Monday morning my coworkers and I were chit chatting as normal, one of them mentioned about how she wants to start writing a blog called while the kids were napping/sleeping...and it got me thinking about that movie, While You Were Sleeping. 

Fast forward a bit later, I'm at my desk, gmail open and chat closed...no husby to talk to.
Kevin is on another version of overnights this week.

I guess at some point you should get used to these kinds of shifts?
I haven't.

Kevin and I chat all day, if it's not on gmail chat-google hangout, then it's via Skype or texting or Tango. One way or another we are almost in constant communication all day long. 

I have no idea what we talk about...I don't think I could even explain it...I don't even understand myself how we never run out of things to say to each other. I mean how do we do this and yet still get home, sit at our dinner table and have plenty left to talk about? 
Who knows...guess we are just weird ones.

The point is, we talk all day, well usually.

When he goes on overnights, he's sleeping, not all day but during a greater part of the day.
Therefore, we can't talk all day because he's not reading messages in his sleep and responding.

In the past we've just left each other 15 emails, 10 text messages, a few tango messages, and dozens of hang-outs, you get the picture,...it's kind of overkill, we realize...and yet we don't change it.

BUT, as I was sitting at my desk thinking about what my co-worker said, thinking about how I couldn't talk to Kevin, thinking about how he was sleeping...an idea came to me...

An email chain entitled,  While You Were Sleeping.

Okay, so maybe this isn't all that mind blowing but personally, I love it.
It's all the things I want to tell him while he's sleeping!
Basically, I leave this email open all day and any time a thought/idea/etc comes to my mind that I want to share with Kevin I type it out. Each new thought/idea/etc I hit enter and write again.
When he wakes up, I hit send.
We have our short evening together, and then he does the same because then I'm the one sleeping.


It's a little thing, a silly thing, and probably a weird thing to some but it's our thing, now.
It's that small thing that just brings a smile to one of our faces.
It's that reminder that we were thinking about each other .
It's that effort to give each other time and attention.


And so,
Monday our chain began.
Here's to strengthening marriage even in sleep.


post signature
Be sure to swing by this lovely lady's blog:

6 comments:

  1. That is so sweet! And, what is Tango?! Adam and I talk all day long over e-mail and text too. People ask all the time what we talk about all day and I always respond with, "I don't know, stuff". So I'm glad to hear someone else talks to their husband all day and really doesn't know what they are talking about either :). I think it just goes to show how strong our marriage is, we can talk about everything and nothing all at the same time and when I get home I still want to spend time with him.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Firstly, While You Were Sleeping is my favorite movie! I walked down the aisle at my wedding to a song from the soundtrack! :-)

    Secondly, I think this is a fabulous idea! It's great hearing about the ways others connect when their apart. It's such a blessing to read about how others value their marriages! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's really sweet! I'm another one who is in constant email contact with my husband all day, we talk about the important stuff like what to eat that night, what to watch on tv, whether the act of something contagious spreading is called contaging...! (seriously, I asked him that one day this week! If it isn't a word then it should be!)

    And also, I love that movie!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Currently I'm always awake while Angel's sleeping because of the 12 hours time difference. We're doing a pretty good job of making sure that the other one always wakes up to a few emails or FB messages from overnight. Angel and I are also one of those couples who can talk all the time. Of course, neither of us have smart phones or texting, and neither of us can be on the computer at work so that hampers things a bit...

    ReplyDelete
  5. You two are so cute! I am the same way with my Hubbs....to the point I see him and then 15 minutes later he calls and asks "what's up?" haha. I'm follower #364 on GFC

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is adorable! I've never seen While You Were Sleeping, but I love this idea :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Popular Posts

Pin It button on image hover