Tuesday, August 6, 2013

Our Humble Home Scene: Downstairs Living Area


"‘I know not, Miss Elizabeth,’ said he, ‘whether Mrs. Collins has yet expressed her sense of your kindness in coming to us; but I am very certain you will not leave the house without receiving her thanks for it. The favour of your company has been much felt, I assure you. We know how little there is to tempt any one to our humble abode. Our plain manner of living, our small rooms, and few domestics, and the little we see of the world, must make Hunsford extremely dull to a young lady like yourself; but I hope you will believe us grateful for the condescension, and that we have done everything in our power to prevent your spending your time unpleasantly....the humble home scene'"-Pride and Prejudice (chapter 38---any chance to throw some Pride and Prejudice in, I take!

I share these photos with a forewarning, an interior designer I may be but an interior designer dream budget I do not have. Kevin and I do the best we can with our current budget and while I dream of what our one day house will be like, I am perfectly happy with where we are now and what we have now. That's not to say I don't have a few projects in the works for our little place, though.

My home, and maybe yours too, may not look like pinterest but it's home and it's comfortable and it's a sweet place because it's the first place my hubby and I have ever lived in together, it's where we began newlyed life, it's where we welcomed Paisley, it's where we'll live for at least another year...and so for all of that it is full of memories and thus it has to be remembered, however uninteriorly designed it might currently be. I loved Rachel's post on this topic a couple weeks ago, go read it! (and come back next week to hear Rachel's story!)


A while ago I posted our bedroom and then not so long ago I posted my sweet little crafting nook, today I've got our downstairs living area! We live in a townhome where the downstairs is our open living area and the upstairs is our bedroom and that's all there is to it.

Let's take a look at our little gallery wall area first. Wall space is limited in our little place...like if there's not a door or window on a wall then it's pretty much a miracle! So we decided to utilize our stair wall for our gallery wall and the other side for Kevin's OU gallery wall space.

That sunset picture was taken by my talented cousin up in MI

Kevin made the Kevin heart veronica photo art and I made the sea shell frame. Our wedding invitation is framed above the seashell fgrame and of course there are lots of wedding pictures!


Our sofas came from one of my co-workers. Buying used sofas wasn't something I was initially interested in but I trusted my co-worker completely and I'm so glad we did. We love these sofas, they are so comfy! Now, do I wish they were in a different color? YES! Do I wish they fit better in our teeny tiny place? YES! But you know what, they are pretty great for our first home together.


Probably one of my favorite parts of our home! A print from our wedding on a metal, a print from our honeymoon on wood and a print from our engagement session on glass! Thanks groupon and living social!





Our entertainment center is from Big Lots...Kevin had so many restrictions on size and height of the piece. He WON our awesome tv and was determined that it was correctly placed for the best viewing angle/distance, as in he did math for this...I'm not kidding.

Our dining table and chairs...ahh finally DONE! You can see my DIY posts on them here and here.
Placemats made by my sweet MIL!






Oh you see that closet there? Yeah that's closet #2 of our home, the right side is our stack washer and dryer...the left side is pantry...so yep that basically means we only  have one closet.

Our little rental kitchen. You know, as tiny as this little kitchen is, it works. I manage in there. Like many of us have experienced, freshening up and prettyfying, yep I made that word up, a kitchen is tough when you are renting but it can be done in the little ways.








I know this is a terrible picture but on our little counter we have our wedding unity candle displayed and also these awesome light up tulip flowers that my grandma found years ago!

So that's that. You've seen our home!
It's not my dream design home but that's okay because we're still young and we're still newlyweds! We're paying off school loans and putting first things first. One day I hope to post more about a real home design!

post signature
Be sure to swing by this lovely lady's blog:

11 comments:

  1. I love your home and the touches you have added. So creative and meaningful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's definitely TOUGH when renting and prioritizing money like you're supposed to *cough, cough*. As much as I hate it, it's what's right. And you are spot on - a home is about the love found within, not of every pinterest project and perfect placement of everything. Love your little home! So many memories the first years of marriage! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your gallery walls! I feel like gallery walls always are wonderful representations of the people who put them up! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love that little photo display above the fireplace, very cute!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You've definitely made the place home. I love it and you will have great memories of it one day. I really love the Kevin <3 Veronica art your man made! I may need to hire him to do one for us ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ooo! I love the pictures above your fireplace! So special and so beautiful :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. You've done a great job! Especially since it's a rental. And new sofas are so expensive--we bought ours used, too.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your place is beautiful! I think you've done a great job making the place your home. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm your newest follower! Glad to have found your beautiful blog! Would love you to check out mine. :)

    http://www.marriedfiling-jointly.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. Mr.Kiran Chitanvis (Proprietor of Living Area) has over 20 years of real estate experience servicing buyers and sellers in the Mumbai-Pune region
    Living Area | Real Estate Brokers in Hinjewadi Pune | Real Estate Agents in Hinjewadi pune


    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Popular Posts

Pin It button on image hover