Tuesday, July 30, 2013

Oh Furniture Projects

I have the first installment of our furniture diy diaries!

Our first furniture project to tackle has been our kitchen table. You might remember when we bought it for $10 and had grand plans of re-doing it? Well a year of marriage later and it still sat in our little kitchen area untouched.

That table.

First, I was kicking myself because what I thought was a real wood table was actually a thin veneer of real wood. Thanks 40's-60's time period for mass producing veneer table tops.
Second, the stain wasn't taking like I'd originally wanted. I'm too picky.
Third, I used a stain/poly combo product by Minwax. It was awesome since I didn't have to do a separate step for a poly coat but I also never could get it as smooth as I wanted on the top. Probably my brushing skills.

Nevertheless, a finished table we now have. And you know what? It took a little while, but I love our little dining table now. 

Some pictures of the process:


Paisley enjoyed the process since it meant she got to be outside like all day.


Like my cute pink safety glasses?
 And for as much as she loved being outside she sure did wear out...what a cutie pie!





Stay tuned for the absolute finished product in our home...


Pearls:
- Give yourself plenty of time.
- Patience!
- Don't worry about the imperfections, no one else notices them like you do.


post signature
Be sure to swing by this lovely lady's blog:

9 comments:

  1. I love this! This makes me want to go thrifting so that I can find another project to dive into! Projects are so fun. Loving your pink protective glasses!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Paisley is adorable, I love her! I love the stain color your picked, its going to look great with the chairs :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. It looks great! We love doing furniture projects - including building our own pieces. They are so much fun :) Can't wait to see it completely finished in your home! And paisley looks so cute!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yay! I so wish I had a yard or some real personal space to do things like this. You did awesome with this!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Pretty! I bought my table almost a year ago with the intention of redoing it....but am dreading the work. You can come over and do mine too if you want :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Do you have pink safety goggles??? Jealous!!
    That table is amazing and what a find at $10!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You're so right about the imperfections bit--when it comes to projects like this, I think we're always our own toughest critics!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love how the color turned out! And I also love how our tables are soul mates. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Such a great final colour. Your safety glasses are so cute!!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Popular Posts

Pin It button on image hover