Wednesday, July 24, 2013

My ID Life: The Observation Deck

I'm going to start a new little series, and it will probably be fewer and far between but I'm excited about it!
 It will be entitled, My ID Life and will be on the topic of my life as a professional Interior Designer, mainly showcasing spaces I've worked on in my career at the University of Oklahoma.
First up on this new series: The Observation Deck at the National Weather Center.
On our anniversary weekend, I finally was able to visit the space with Kevin to show it to him completed.
The Observation Deck is one of the smallest, but one of my most favorite, spaces I've ever worked on. Apart from carpet I selected everything. New wallpaper, new banquet tables and chairs, new benches, new paint, new baseboards, new corner guards and suggestions for framing weather photography(which actually hadn't quite made it's final appearance yet as it was left on the college to complete).

As the building houses governmental employees you always to have your wonderful ID visible. It's a great fashion accessory, no?

This space is at the very top of the National Weather Center on campus. A building at the south end on what we call Research Campus. It houses not only the College of Atmospheric and Geographic Sciences but also government offices such as the Storm Prediction Center. It's a large, contemporary and one of the newer buildings on campus.
The Observation Deck, the very top space of the building, used to be a student space, it had a TV and whiteboards, and student lounge furniture. It was transitioned into a space to be used more for banquets and special meetings/events. In fact, someone has had their wedding up there! 
I chose large round tables, their request, that have the ability to flip and roll away into a nesting group for easy changing up of the space. I was finally able to use a new laminate that has the wood grain look in a very realistic way, especially with the added texture I specified. The chairs can stack and be carted away as well.
Wallpaper was selected to add to the durability of the walls since students and staff alike venture up to the Observation Deck to, well to observe the views. They sit close the walls, they lean in close...etc. The space was pretty rough before. I selected not only a durable wallpaper but also a large rubber base that gave the look of a traditional baseboard in it's form. We followed suit with the form onto the corner guard but switched up the wallpaper on the interior wall set (which the interior walls I don't have pictured here).
Obviously, the OU's crimson and cream made a bold appearance in the space. Along with the colors, the patterns present in the space really coordinated with each other as I kept them in a similar movement. 

I wanted to keep the space fairly simple as the size of the room is rather small as well as a strange shape in plan. Simple colors grounded against varying patterns that coordinate into a repetitive organized design, is the concept I worked with.
What do you think?
Can you find the ways I implemented the Design Elements and Principles I talked about here?

post signature
Be sure to swing by this lovely lady's blog:

4 comments:

  1. Rock on! I would venture to say most people would walk by and not even think a designer had a hand in this, but as you mention all the small details such as durability and function, I realize how much thought really is involved in any space.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, it looks great! I had been up there a few times with Adam's dad and always thought it was a neat space that was kind of under utilized - looks awesome now!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome, you did a great job on the design! What a fun job to have!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think your job is so cool, that at the end of a project you have a whole room or a building to point to and say--look, I created that! (Well, put together more than created, but really, putting all the pieces together makes it into one whole finished space). Awesome job!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Popular Posts

Pin It button on image hover