Monday, July 1, 2013

Life&Love: Departing in December

Oh my gracious, this is getting ridiculous I know...I've been completely unorganized on keeping these posts in line. I'd like to promise I'll do better but I'm not sure I want to commit to that process. Slowly they will all come together and eventually the story will get a whole lot more interesting, that I can promise.

Today is the final installment of the first semester of our freshmen year, our first 4 months of knowing each other...crazyness! Today is also out 13th monthiversary of being married!! I can't believe we've now been married a year and a month. Where has time gone? It seems like yesterday we were on our anniversary vacation...truly time has flown since I graduated last year, if only we knew how to stall time.

Okay so onward with today's post:
This is a post series that I'm writing about Kevin and I's love story, read about why and how I'm doing this, as well as all the prior posts under the Life&Love page.
All previous posts here.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------

I just passed my Phi Lamb pledge test and couldn't be happier. Being an awful test taker, even something as simple as memorizing some additional Bible verses and knowing the history of our fairly new sorority, made me nervous. I couldn't believe the Lord has not only miraculously made a way for me to find Phi Lamb but also to make it in as a pledge and pass the exam. It was the beginning to a blessing bigger than I even could realize.

Dead week, and the coming finals week, was upon us and I was feeling good, mostly due to the fact that my first semester of studio projects was complete but also because I really didn't have that many finals to take. My week would be spent studying, cleaning and enjoying time with friends, well at least as much as they could.

The biggest event of this week was Christmas Paradigm with the BSU, meaning my girlfriends and I needed to get in gear with our costumes. The three of us sat in my dorm room late a few nights before with hot glue guns plugged in, white clothes and tons of cotton balls. We created a tail out of a sock and some cotton balls, made floppy ears with socks and cotton balls attached to a headband, and made use of some black gloves for hooves, paired it all together white white long sleeves and white sweat pants. Laughter, laughter filled my dorm room that night. We were just beside ourselves with how ridiculous yet completely awesome our costumes were.

It was around 2am by the time we finished up and I suddenly decided we just had to go show Kevin our creations. I texted him, waking him up, and forced my girlfriends to get all dressed in the costumes. Barefooted we stepped onto the elevator and hit the button for the 8th floor. Ding, the elevator alerted us we had arrived on the eighth floor, we stepped off and managed to slip into the locked doors behind someone leaving. We start our trek down the hall to his door and stop dead in our tracks...the lounge was filled with a group of guys, suddenly we realized what we were wearing and became incredible embarrassed in a matter of seconds as we silently walked backwards. Of course I would put us into this situation!

Kevin walked around the corner not too much later, rubbing his eyes and yawning,  I hadn't quite realized I'd woken him up and I was astonished that he bothered to wake up just to witness our recently completed costumes. He finally set his eyes on us and burst into laughter while assuring us we did a fabulous job on the mission of creating lamb costumes. If only this would be our last embarrassing moment of the year.

Thursday night came quick, I hustled from my physics final across campus to the BSU building to slip into my lamb costume and prepare for the show. I had missed the final practice round so everyone else had already It's a memory no one shall ever forget...and we will never live down but the show was a complete blast!
been there a while. I stumbled around till I finally found my fellow lambs...and then the show began...and then the true embarrassment began.

Plans had been made for Friday night a few weeks back and now it was finally here. Kayla and I of course texted each other earlier in the afternoon to discuss outfit options since we would be walking around in the cold to view Christmas lights in Chickasha, their Festival of Lights was an outdoor wonderland that you could walk or drive...it was spectacular. The drive there was an event in itself as each car seemed to take a different route and maneuver to a Mexican restaurant before actually arriving at the Festival of Lights.

About twenty of us walked against the cold air bundled up in coats, gloves and hats. We took pictures constantly and couldn't help but laugh at some of the lighted scenes. Around 11pm we finally called it a night and took to the cars with the intention of going to the student union for the midnight showing of some movie. Since not everyone wanted to go to the movie the people in cars got shuffled around and I ended up in the back of a car with none other than Kevin.

I slipped in the car and stared out the window as the conversation in the car carried. I was worn out already I knew but I just didn't want to miss out on more time with friends. I blinked back my tired eyes constantly but knew I was wearing down fast and eventually fell asleep.



I woke up as we pulled to the back of the union, realizing that not only had I slept most of the way home but my head had been lying on Kevin's shoulder. I quickly sat up and tried not to be awkward.

The movie turned out to be awful. I didn't watch but five minutes of it. I sat in my seat with my head turned from the terribleness playing out on the screen, looking at Kevin. We talked and giggled through the whole movie. The movie wasn't worth staying up late for but the conversation with Kevin was. Our conversation carried to the end of the movie and through the walk back to the dorms. I had no idea I was being flirty at all and went to bed that night after texting M I was home and going to bed and we could catch up in the morning. In one short week I'd be back in Houston and so would he!

Finals came, finals ended and the farewells began. I wondered whether I would keep up with any of my new friends of the almost month long break and I certainly didn't anticipate how hard it would be to leave them. The Lord has blessed me in a way I never even realized He would and I wasn't ready to leave this place of blessing, but at the same time my heart was ready to be home in Houston with my boyfriend and high school friends!

Goodbyes happened short and sweet at a final dinner in the main cafeteria. A lot of joking, tons of laughter and of course pictures wrapped up my first semester at the University of Oklahoma. I couldn't believe it. I couldn't believe the blessings, I couldn't believe the friendships, and I just couldn't believe I would have ended up there with everyone.

I shoved my suitcases into the back of a friend's car, from my highschool in Houston, and slipped into the passenger seat late after his last final and began the seven hours drive home. M awaited me, a job with Santa Claus for my second year awaited me, my dad and the air mattress bed in his unfurnished apartment awaited me, and so many friends awaited me there. I was happy to be going back,  having no idea that my heart had already connected with Kevin's.

Christmas Day on the Beach, 2008


post signature
Be sure to swing by this lovely lady's blog:

4 comments:

  1. Isn't it funny to think of those things that were awkward back then and how the story of you getting together went?! So great. I love it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay! I was just thinking that another piece of this story was long overdue. Can't wait for the next one :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh goodness - those sheep costumes! I totally forgot about how mortifying it was to walk by that group of guys on Kevin's floor. Ha! If it was all part of God's plan to get you two hitched, then it was worth it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Loving reading these!!
    And it's amazing how we never know what the plan is until we look back on it years later

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Popular Posts

Pin It button on image hover