Tuesday, July 2, 2013

Lauren's Earthy, Boho Home

What's more exciting than getting married and creating a home together? Well Lauren, a friend of Jaime from Toby's Tails... remember her master suite..., is doing just that! She and her man will be tying the knot in August, until then they've got wedding details to wrap up and a home to put together!

Lauren was lucky enough to catch one of my very last free concept boards. I'm pretty excited about Lauren's concept boards today because it's a style I have not gotten to work with very much, AND I've got an extra surprise for Lauren, today I'll be sharing ideas for her new kitchen and living room but she's ALSO going to be getting a master bedroom concept board from Samantha!! That's right Lauren, you're getting your whole home in concept boards for FREE! Hope you're as excited as Samantha and I are!

Let's take a look at what Lauren is looking for:

What is your vision or design style?
Earthy, Boho, neutral colors with green and blue accents. I also like pops of color though I'm not sure
Coasters
how to make that "work." I like burlap and linen. I also like navajo/aztec inspired prints on rugs and pottery. I like indoor plants and pottery or wooden pieces. I'm marring a geologist, so we also like rocks (like the agate coasters at Williams Sonoma). We also like maps. Vintage pieces are great! I'm willing to paint or re-furbish furniture however I like the pieces of furniture I found at Pottery Barn most of all but it's more than I was hoping to spend.


Lauren has quite the extensive home pin board on her pinterest, definitely check it out, so I pulled some of her inspiration images for this collage:


To sum it up I'd say Lauren is looking for an earthy, natural feeling space that is still up to date with a Boho vibe. As Lauren is renting my plan is to give a neutral backdrop and warm it up through the furniture, they will bring in the earthy elements. The Boho will be sprinkled throughout the design to give that extra  bit of funk and color and really bring the design all together. 

Lauren mentioned that she would love help on layouts, which I would LOVE to do for her however I think for today I'm going to start the conversation on the home design with concept boards and a pre-budget. Perhaps later on she and I can work together to show you floor plans of her actual home with the design incorporated.

Lauren's Kitchen & Living Room:

Lauren has a sweet and simple color palette for the base, neutral beige/browns with an olive green. The real design comes in with the extensive accent color palette. It may seem like too many colors but done correctly they will all come together to create a retro, vibrant effect against the natural backdrop that is truly a stunning piece of art.

I stumbled upon the pub table on the World Market site and just completely fell in love. It couldn't be more perfect for this style! A little retro, a little industrial, and in the perfect colors. Paired with some bright colored metal stools from Pier1 and it's a great combination for earthy and boho. The stools come in several other colors too if Lauren decided she would prefer blue or red as opposed to the yellow. Accessories and simple counter and kitchen ware keeps the kitchen easy to use and stylish. World Market won out again for a simple sofa to compliment the bohemian side chair I found. Little accents of color here in there in the accessories brings the space to life.

Some of the accessories I've suggested would be great little DIY projects. I love the idea of the tree pieces horizontally applied to the wall above the sofa.  The map letter project would be a great little addition to a kitchen or entryway. The wood stools came from Lauren's pinterest board, if she can swing that project it would be such a sweet addition to her living room for extra seating, plus what a perfect illustration of her design concept? Rustic, earthy and colorful! The mirror is another relatively easy diy project if she can find the frame at a thrift or antique store. I didn't feature any rugs on the board, mostly because my ideas were just exploding and I needed to keep it simple for the sake of space on the board, but I included a link below for a rug I did find.

There is so much more I would love to do in these rooms. I envision some ladder bookcases or entertainment center in the living room, some interesting ideas for painting walls that would be easy enough for a renter to do on their own, tribal throws on the sofa. some side tables that have interesting bases, and so so much more! This project is by far one of my most favorite to work on. I think going outside my usual design zone has inspired me even more and I loved working on this tribal, boho, earthy space. What do yall think of this design style?

If you want more help Lauren, hit me up!!


Budget
Lauren would like to stay around $3000. I've tried to stay in that range, but I'd like to advise Laurent to look out for furniture she can refurbish for a better price or even just watch some of these items for clearance! My best advice for budgets is invest in the pieces you just can't live without and then back them up with less expensive/diy options.
  • Kitchen Pub Table World Market $279.99
  • Kitchen Stools Pier One $99.95 each
  • Living Room Pillows Etsy $42.30
  • Living Room Curtains Country Curtains  $50 (get the matching valence for the kitchen for $27)
  • Living Room Side Chair Plumo $662.89 (stalk vintagey stores for something like this or go for it and invest in something that you'll have for a long time!)
  • B Wall Art Accessory Etsy $60 (while I'm sure this lady does a terrific job, this is something I imagine you could do as a DIY)
  • Painted Wood Pieces Pinterest (definitely a DIY!)
  • Tree Stump Stools h&a Happenings Blog
  • Mirror Etsy $60 (another one to DIY)
  • Vintage Vase ebay $10
  • Dish Towels Target $12
  • Sofa World Market $399 Currently ON SALE!
  • Rugs, not featured, World Market $500
Came out to $2,303.08!

*Do you have a shop for home goods? Want to be featured in my concept board posts? Whether you are on etsy, facebook or have your own store/website I love using handmade creations! Let me know and I'll be sure to use your products in my next concept board.

Places to check out for interesting and unique finds:

*Like what you see? I'd love to work on a concept board and more with you for your home or small commercial space. Click on the Pearls Design Services tab at the top and let's get started!

post signature
Be sure to swing by this lovely lady's blog:

2 comments:

  1. i love this inspiration board!! so bright and cheery and fun!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Popular Posts

Pin It button on image hover