Monday, March 25, 2013

Life&Love:Meeting His Family

This is a post series that I'm writing about Kevin and I's love story, read about why and how I'm doing this, as well as all the prior posts under the Life&Love page.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Conversation seemed to flow easily between Kevin and I at any time, of any day. Between facebook, email and texting, we were in almost constant communication. From the simple, lunch meet up to the deeper conversations about what God was teaching us, and none of it phased me. For the first time in my life, I had a friendship with a boy and it was simply that, a friendship.At least to me.
Freshmen year was going immensely better than I had ever imagined. In my prayers leading up to arriving here, I asked God earnestly for kingdom minded friends with both girls and guys...and every prayer, every request, every thought was coming true, God was so amazingly good. I was loving every second of my new friendships, especially my first best friend relationship with a guy, Kevin.

Playing tricks on me was part of my new friends' favorite activities, stolen phones and tricky door hangings were  a constant battle
Through all the time we spent in conversation and in community, never did any of it compromise my relationship with M. Kevin was conscience to not spend time alone together, out of respect for M, and my heart belonged to M entirely. I never thought otherwise.

Besides he and I made plans to see each other as often as we could. The A&M/Soooners game at College Station, my first date party and Thanksgiving were all just around the corner, I would see M again before I knew it! The months apart seemed forever and ever but having days to count down to made it easier...and the coming month of November was going to be the best! Three weekends in a row with M!

The week of Halloween was shaping up to be a busy one, three tests, a quiz, project work, Halloween party and the football game were all seemingly going to be crammed into one week. Stress was hitting me hard and  I was having a hard time devoting time to the Lord, which wasn't helping anything, or friends either.

After a day of two tests and a quiz, I was ready to just breathe for at least a little while before studying for my next test, Physics...oh how I dreaded physics...science was so not my thing. In my dorm, I cozied up in my pajamas and slid into my desk chair ready to flip open my laptop and check email and facebook which had been neglected in my studying frenzy.

An unread email from Kevin flashed on the screen,

·        " So I have a favor for you to think about...I don't want you to feel obligated at all, feel free to say no thanks or whatever! It will not be a big deal to me at all.My family is coming to Norman this weekend and I'd like for them to get to meet you, and Kayla."

At the moment, the last thing I wanted to think about was adding another event to my ever growing agenda for the week and weekend. But the good friend in me was telling me to go ahead and say yes. I responded saying that I could definitely do that and we began to chat about plans and our week thus far. I admitted to having a rough and stressful week, thus neglecting my time with the Lord. He suggested going to Paradigm and releasing my stress to God. Stubbornly, I felt like telling him I was just going to skip and go to bed after my evening test on Thursday. Besides,I thought, I'm fine and I'd be late to Paradigm anyway and wouldn't be able to sit with people I knew so really I could just go to bed.

After he promised to save a seat for me at Paradigm, I gave in. Then he said,

·         A time of worship after a long day is probably my favorite thing to do. And if there's no worship service to go to, I'll jog off by myself somewhere and spend some personal time with the Lord. Really gets my focus back!

I couldn't believe I just read that...it was so encouraging! So honest! I'd never had a guy really open up to me personally about his faith like that before. It was incredibly refreshing and encouraged my stubborn self to give it up and go to Paradigm. It ended up being the best decision I made all week.

Saturday morning came, after a fun Halloween party with my phi lamb big and some new friends the night before, my body was ready for some much needed rest. I awoke quite late on Saturday morning with a night of deep sleep behind me and an open day with nothing to do till lunch time when I would meet up with Kayla and meet Kevin's family. I lied in bed for a bit, texted M and opened my laptop to browse facebook, my college ritual was still going strong.

Glinda the good wich and Elphaba 
I finally decided that with so much time on my hands, it would be the perfect opportunity to once again attempt to curl my hair. I slipped on some socks, clicked on the light, open the blinds and pulled back my curtains to reveal a sunny, blue sky. How good it felt to have the week behind me and a day of fun ahead of me.

I pulled my laptop into the bathroom and double clicked itunes to open up. Since coming to college, the deadening silence turned me onto listening to music more than I ever had before. I never knew I'd actually miss the ever constant singing of my sisters, yet here I was, refusing to enjoy just silence. I clicked shuffle and proceeded to set up for hair curling.

Failure. That's what happens when I try to curl my hair...in the few times I'd tried curling my hair in college, each time was an utter failed attempt. In high school, my friends or my mom always did my hair...I never considered the fact that I'd go onto college, 18 years old and unable to curl my own hair successfully.

I burned the back of my ear and gave it up....decided I was going to have to find an alternative, this just wasn't going to work...I eyed the time and freaked out! I was supposed to be in the Cate caff restaurants in like 10 minutes! I quickly texted Kayla and told her to go on without me, I was going to be late.

I cowardly threw my hair up into a messy bun...a sad attempt to hide my disastrous curling attempt. I wanted to be as ready for the football game as possible so I could enjoy hanging out with Kayla some after lunch. I slid on a classic OU red t-shirt, and some jeans, touched up my make-up, making sure to hide my lovely ear burn as best as I could, and ran out the door, Vera-Bradley wallet and cell phone in hand.

As I rode the elevator down, I started to get nervous, what was I doing going to meet Kevin's family? What was the point of this anyway? What would we talk about? At least his sister is the same age as Ginger...maybe there'll be some way to talk to her easier? The walk to the Cate caff restaurants was a long one, and my heart thudded against the inside of my chest so hard, my stomach wasn't helping he
present moment either. Food needed to happen, and soon.

Swinging open the door, I saw them all seated at a long table and walked over. Looking back at me was all smiling faces. Even Kayla, looked to be enjoying herself.
At the game, later that day.
Hey Veronica, this is my mom and dad and my sister, Kayla, Kevin introduced each unknown face to me.

I fell into a seat and found conversation between all them was as easy as talking to Kevin. We laughed about the confusion between his sister and our friend having the same name. I talked to Kayla about what she was into and what my sister was into. We talked about my ever tiring major and Kayla's career plans. Conversation continued to smoothy that I quickly was carried away and forgot all about my still rather empty stomach. A rumble inside, reminded me of my food need. I grabbed Kayla and asked her to join me on my search for food, we made our escape and chatted about how nice and sweet Kevin's family was, as we ordered and waited on our lunch.

The remainder of the meeting was smooth and enjoyable. Little did I know, I was the only one of the party who didn't know the real reason behind Kevin wanting me to meet his family.




post signature

4 comments:

  1. How wonderful to document your love story!
    I wish I had saved emails from our dating days- lucky:)

    Saying hi from Mingle Monday!

    ReplyDelete
  2. New follower , such a cute blog!!!

    www.meetthebrowns20.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is so sweet! I love that you have that email from him still! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. aw this is so cute! I can't wait to read the rest! :)

    I'm a new follower!! I saw your blog button on Chits and Giggles and thought it looked like mine so naturally I had to come and check out your blog! And I married a Kevin too.

    Brie @ Breezy Pink Daisies

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Popular Posts

Pin It button on image hover