Tuesday, March 12, 2013

Date Night Idea: Grown Up Tent

A couple of weeks ago, Karla posted about keeping the sparks alive in marriage,that is simply continuing those random gestures of romance, kindness and surprise.

All in all, Kevin and I do fairly well at keeping that aspect of our relationship going strong (like the one time I came home to this magical display) but recently we've just been go,go,go it feels like we haven't really enjoyed some special, quiet, sweet date night time together.

We like to celebrate every month we spend together (married, and we did it when we dated too). The Bible talks about how life is fleeting and we never want to forget how blessed each moment is.

On March 1st we celebrated our 9th monthiversary and it was my turn to do a little something. With Karla's post early that same week I got inspired. I'm sure several of you have seen the "grown up" or "adult" tents on pinterest...so I couldn't wait to try the same (which by the way, did you know that if you click half of those they're just pictures...not tutorials, no hints, no tricks, no nothing!).




I slipped out of work early on Friday, thanks to a meeting earlier in the week that went practically to 7pm, and headed straight to Walmart... yes, Walmart. The idea was to go quick, easy and relatively inexpensive (I picked that trick up from Kaitlyn when she did her #clubsexy for her husband).

I had thought it through earlier and my plan was to get something for dinner that we didn't do often...making it a special treat...and decided to go with pizza bagel bites (for me) and pizza rolls (for him)...the tastyness of pizza but cooks a lot faster than a frozen pizza. Next up was some fruit, strawberries haven't been in season for a while so we've been avoiding their high price tag...date night was the perfect time to splurge a bit on them. Finally, dessert and drinks. We really enjoy getting the molten lava cake at Chili's so originally I was going to make one from scratch (I love to bake) but that wasn't going along with my quick and easy scheme so I scoured the baking aisle till I found a molten-lava-like cake that only required water to mix it. Then I grabbed us some sparkling juice (because honestly, that's our favorite, haha). (I also got Paisley a new bone to keep her occupied while Kevin and I enjoyed dinner in the tent).



Traffic was thick for some reason that afternoon in Norman so I had little time to rush home, grab all my tent making supplies and get to work. Thankfully, our little apartment made it relatively easy to string sheets across from one wall to the next. Making sure the tv still made it into the tent for our romantic movie I planned for us to watch. I made good use of masking tape, ribbon, and some dining chairs.


I pulled the cushions off the sofa onto the ground, layered them up with pillows and comfy blankets. Strung up our tulle Christmas lights and some pearls for some extra glamour and finished it all off with some of those awesome LED candles and a little vase of flowers on our bed tray.





Paisley even helped out a big...okay not really, but isn't she adorable?!

I got everything prepared in the kitchen after that, and put Paisley's bone up in her crate...everything was set. I texted Kevin and instructed him not to open the door when he got home but to knock.

When he arrived, I put eye shades on him and sent him directly upstairs to change and get comfy...and play with Paisley so I could get the food put in the oven and such.

I led Kevin downstairs (he put the shades back on) and finally allowed him to see how I'd transformed our living room into a magical tent. To try and explain how surprised he was and how much he LOVED it would be rather difficult.

I led him into the tent and showed him the different things I put up in there, and told him to not go past the back curtain into the kitchen. I had pulled a couple of our romantic comedy movies (that we already had) and asked him to select one.

The dinner timer buzzed right on time, I had him put Paisley in her crate with  her new bone, and prepared our dinner plates. When he came back down it was all nicely set up in the tent. We prayed, talked and enjoyed dinner then began the movie. Partway into the movie, I slid into the kitchen and popped the cake into the oven, it only needed 20 minutes to cook and we enjoyed our movie in the meantime. When it finished (which by the way, I cooked it in large cupcake tins, not a cake pan..this made for personal sized lava cakes which made it easier to serve) I popped them out of the pans into our bowls and topped it off with a cool scoop of vanilla frozen yogurt. It was DELICIOUS!



After we finished eating, we brought Paisley back down to enjoy the tent and remainder of the movie with us. It was one of the most fun, and sweet nights we had in a while. The perfect amount of one-on-one talk time, cuddle time, and movie time. In fact, can we just rewind and go back to that night?

What are some fun things you've done for your husband to keep the "spark alive"?

**Linking up with Lisette, Just Because. :)

post signature

18 comments:

  1. How fun!! I love this grown up date idea. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOVE! Totally stealing this one day!! Sooo cute =)

    ReplyDelete
  3. cutest thing ever and SO romantic! I will totally be stealing this idea! I think it's soo important to keep dating, even once your married:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. That looks sooo ogreat and cozy and romantic and fun! And I definitely want to steal this idea for when Jeff and I get married and live together! Looove this idea so much! You did a great job planning and executing everything :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a cute idea! You did a great job :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey girl! I answered your question today on the blog (:

    Kaitlyn

    ReplyDelete
  7. Found your blog from the link-up! This idea is amazing and looks like so much fun!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a great idea! This is something I'll have to remember for later on.
    Visiting from Northern Belle Diaries, and am a new follower! Would love for you to visit my blog!

    xo
    Caroline

    lovecarolineblog.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. You did such a great job, sweet wife!

    ReplyDelete
  10. OMG I love this! My pup would be all up in it, but.I am definitely going to do this!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Can I just say that you are the most adorable person EVER! We made a "fort" one weekend in the living room but I didn't think to use string lights and there wasn't really enough room to eat under it....and those molten lava cakes remind me of our cruise and having one every night for dessert...CANT WAIT FOR VACATION!

    XO Samantha

    ReplyDelete
  12. Very cute idea! I remember doing this as a kid, but never thought of doing it now. I may have to try this!! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  13. love that so much! reminds me of when i did it as a kid...but probably not as much fun as the grown-up version haha! katie@thecarbmonster.com

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a fun idea! I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  15. This is just too cute. It made me smile! Not sure if the husband would be up for that after a day of work but I LOVE it! thanks for linking up!

    ReplyDelete
  16. That looks fun! You're so creative, and I love the pictures that you got of it!

    ReplyDelete
  17. i love your tent! ps trader joes has amazing lava cake!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Popular Posts

Pin It button on image hover