Tuesday, November 6, 2012

Yummyness

Well I teased you with a sweet treat last week and I am finally here to share it with you!

WHOOPIE PIES!

These not so little treats are all the rage currently. My husband caught on a long time ago and loves them. He even registered us for a whoopie pie pan (which from my research isn't necessary to make them) so that meant I had to figure out how to make them. It's taken me three tries but I've finally found the best recipes!




I'm still working on perfecting them, obviously, not quite so pretty as many others I've seen, but it's only my third try so I'll get there eventually!

Chocolate Whoopie Pies:

The Cake Part:
Found via Eat Cake for Dinner...I used her recipe for the base but made some adjustments, you'll find my notes italicized throughout her instructions.

(Note: this recipe makes a pretty large batch so if you want less just cut everything in half)


3 1/4 c. all-purpose flour
1 3/4 c. unsweetened cocoa powder
1 Tbl. baking soda
1 tsp. baking powder
1 1/2 tsp. salt
2 sticks unsalted butter, room temperature
1 c. packed light brown sugar
3/4 c. sugar
2 eggs, room temperature
1 c. semisweet chocolate, melted and cooled 
1 tsp. pure vanilla extract 
2 c. buttermilk, room temperature (don't want to buy a big carton of buttermilk and then not use it? You can find a dry buttermilk mix on the baking asile and it's still just as good)

Preheat oven to 400 degrees.  Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper or spray with cooking spray.  Or in my case, spray your whoopie pie pan with Spray Pam.Sift the flour, cocoa, baking soda, baking powder and salt together.  I didn't have a sifter, maybe you don't either, I used a whisk and simply whisked it all together in the bowl. With an electric mixer on medium-high speed, cream the butter and sugars until light and fluffy, 4 or 5 minutes. You'll want to make sure your butter is quite soft before mixing, you may try melting it slightly. Add your eggs, one at a time, mixing until completely incorporated before adding the other egg.  Mix in the chocolate and vanilla, making sure to combine really well.  Turn the mixer to low and slowly add the dry ingredients, alternating with the buttermilk, okay I used the buttermilk alternative and what you do is add the dry mix in with the other dry ingredients  So instead of alternating between the dry ingredients and the buttermilk you'll alternate between the dry ingredients and water...it works I promise! in 3 batches I did much less at a time and it still worked just fine...I probably went back and forth about 10 or so times, starting and ending with the flour mixture.  Make sure to let it mix thoroughly.

Heap the batter onto the baking sheets with a 1-ounce ice cream scoop. In my experience you will probably want a slightly smaller scoop. Bake until the tops crack, 12-15 minutes or so. Either my oven cooked WAY faster or the whoopie pie pans cook differently but mine only took 6 min. Cool on a rack.  Repeat with remaining batter.  

And now for the hardest part...well hardest for me because this is the main reason none of my whoopie pies have turned out before, I couldn't find the right cream recipe. I finally found one! This cream recipe is perfect! It's firm but fluffy and tastes great!

The Cream Part:
Found via Baked Perfection....I used her recipe for the base but made some adjustments, you'll find my notes italicized throughout her instructions.

(note, if you used the recipe for the cake part above as it then you'll want to double this cream recipe)


2 teaspoons hot water
1/8 teaspoon salt
1 (7 ounce) jar marshmallow cream
1/2 cup vegetable shortening
1/3 cup powdered sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract

While the cookies bake prepare the filling. In small bowl really small bowl, dissolve the salt in the hot water. Set aside and allow this to cool.  Combine marshmallow cream, shortening, powdered sugar, and vanilla in a bowl; mix on high until fluffy (3-4 minutes).  Add the cooled salt water and mix well.  Spread filling on flat side of one cookie, press 2nd cookie on top.
I truly have nothing to add to this recipe, it was perfect!


And there you go! Sorry again, I'm not good at documenting the process in pictures. Husband loved them and was pretty excited to come home last Saturday to find his favorite dessert. The recipe really did make a TON so be prepared to invite friends over to gobble them all up. We took ours to our small group this weekend and they were a hit there.  

So now I'm stoked to finally have a recipe that works for these not so little sweet treats but wondering if you've found a version you like too...if so share it in a comment! I'm curious! 

Pearls:
- Be patient with yourselves, if you don't get it the first time; try, try, again.
- I'll warn you, you'll go through lots of dishes and it'll take a good chunk of an afternoon.
- If you zap in the microwave for about 10 seconds before you eat them, they're really yummy warm!

6 comments:

  1. these look so good!! i want one right now!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cant wait to try the recipe for the chocolate whoppie pies. Im one of your newest followers from this weeks blog hop. You can follow me back at http://www.navywif33.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. My husband thanks you. He's all about the sweet treats. I'm going to have to make them for him! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Holy cow!!!!!!!!!!!!!! That looks AMAZING!!!!!!!!!!! Haha! Right up my alley! I just wanted to say hi and that I'm your newest follower from the Tell Me About It Tuesday blog hop! Have a lovely evening!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Popular Posts

Pin It button on image hover