Monday, November 12, 2012

Something Close to My Heart

Operation Christmas Child is something that is very close and dear to my heart. I've been participating in this sweet collaborative effort for such a long time. It's definitely something I'm determined to participate in for the rest of my life.

Maybe you've never heard of this awesome opportunity? Operation Christmas Child is a part of Samaritan's Purse, an organization dedicated to bringing Jesus to the poor, sick and suffering through helping them in life. They have several ways to be a part of their mission and OCC is one of them. Operation Christmas Child, begun in 1993, takes shoe boxes filled with gifts by people like you, to children around the world who truly wouldn't receive gifts. There's so much more to this than my little one liner here so I encourage you to check out this link in order to find out more.

Operation Christmas Child

In years to come I hope for each person in my household to create a box for a child. I'm excited to get started on this year's box.

You get to choose an age group and then you fill up your box with some necessities like a new toothbrush, toothpaste, and socks, and you also put in a few toys or activities. Include $7 as a donation for shipping and handling of the box. Wrap it up, post the label on top and drop it off. Check here, at the bottom of the page you can download a label.

Here are some ideas on what you can pack:

Our boxes:



Things to know:
-Drop off is THIS WEEK! November 12-19 Find out where you can drop off your box here.
-Interested to know where your box went? Check out this link.
-Want to give but don't have the time? Click here.
-Their instructions for packing a box.
-Spread the word! Get the graphics and other sharing techniques here.

SO GET OUT THERE and pack up your gifts because,
IT'S SHOE BOX TIME!
THIS WEEK IS COLLECTION WEEK!


Our Boxes:







Pearls:
-This may be the only gifts these children get so be sure and fill it with some fun little toys as well as the necessities. And be sure and send simple toys, nothing too fancy or electronic because they may not have access to batteries or electricity
- Write them a little letter, someone will translate it and it'll make it feel even more personal.
- Do this with all your heart in it, put yourself in the shoes of these kids.And Pray for this child.
- Everyone wants to do the little kids but there's lots of older kids too so don't leave them out!

*Other bloggers writing on Operation Christmas Child: Ephesians 5:33 Wife

4 comments:

  1. Love it! I grabbed a box from our church on Sunday and can't wait for a precious child to receive the box. It's such a great feeling!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love Operation Christmas Child!! I did this every year as a kid, and the hubby and I did one this year. Such a great idea and such a great message!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love OCC. I remember making boxes as a little girl in GA's at church...and coninuing it up into youth. Van and I made a box last year, and this year...well....we're pretty broke. BUT my parents asked us to pick out three things and they would buy it "in our honor" or whatever, so we chose to train an evangelist, send medical attention and missionaries to HIV/AIDS victims, and send over the books and materials needed by foreign missionaries in schools and churches. :) Since we don't have any money AND we aren't really hurting for anything other than tuition money...it's a PERFECT way for my parents to spend money for us, but not ON us for Christmas. :)

    Great post, girl! Way to bring attention to such a wonderful operation!

    ReplyDelete
  4. me and my husby had so much fun doing this, im sure you saw our goodies in that post i posted earlier.. your boxes look so much funner than ours though.. next year im going to do better than i did this year! i love how ya'll included your picture to.. i thought about doing that at the very last minute! will do next go around! love ya girl!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Popular Posts

Pin It button on image hover