Thursday, October 25, 2012

Last Minute White Chili

Not long ago I'd make a long trip home to Florida on college breaks to spend time with my mom and sisters. And like nearly all college students, I'd come home dying for some home cooked meals...something better than the box meals, PB&Js, and mac-n-cheese. You know, basically craving food, real food. My mom would prepare weeks in advance for me... planning out every night to be an exquisite home creation. Ha! False. Does any mom really do that? Usually I knew I had about one really good planned meal waiting for me, and the others would be good, planned or not.

On one of those unplanned nights, we were itching for something warm and filling like soup but thick and meaty like a gumbo. So my mom, out of nowhere, whipped together this Last Minute White Chili that I teased yall about on Tuesday. It was delicious! An instant love! And lucky for you, I'm sharing it! Now be aware, it's not a quick process. We called it last minute because it came together out of the random things my mom had in her pantry. She keeps lots of random things in stock, I don't. I plan for this meal when I make it. So be aware that this isn't a quick recipe but it's definitely an easy one!

Tasty, thick and warm this stuff hits the spot during the fall. It's one of my husband's favorite things I make. In addition to being a pretty easy recipe, it also makes a TON of chili...as in I made it in college once for my dinner night and it served four girls TWICE for an entire week. It's a GREAT dish to make and freeze half of for dinner a few weeks down the road or to share with your pregnant co-worker after she has her baby.

Okay, okay so I've chalked it up enough. You get the gist, make it and fall in love:


Ingredients 

1 Frozen turkey breast. 
1 package of Bear Creek Tortilla Soup Mix 
3-4 boxes (32oz) vegetable broth (or chicken broth)
2 cans of great white northern beans
1 can chopped green chilies 
2 cloves minced garlic
1/2  cup chopped celery 
1/2  cup chopped white onion
2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
1/4 teaspoon cumin 
1/4 cup chopped cilantro
Black pepper/salt fresh ground to taste



Additional Ingredients: the extras

1 cup dry white wine
Splash of tobacco sauce
Bay Leaf
1 cup torn cooked chicken
Shredded Cheddar Cheese
Saltine Crackers
Nonfat Plain Yougurt ( a substitute for sour cream)

Handy Kitchen Tools:
A large pot (The average large pot will work but it’ll be filled to the rim)
Soup Ladle
Slap Chop (if you so choose) & good knives
Pan for the Turkey



Directions:
1.      Prepare the frozen turkey as directed by package. When finished, put to the side to cool.
2.      Prepare the Bear Creek Tortilla Soup Mix, substituting the broth in place of water as the package directed, in the large
3.      Chop the onion, celery, and garlic ( I like to use the Slap Chop: don’t use it for the garlic though), the remaining broth,
4.      Warm the stove top to low and in a small pan mix together the onion, celery, garlic and olive oil. Let cook for a few minutes ( about 10 minutes)
5.      In the pot with the soup mix, slowly mix in the can of chilies, the beans (drain them first), the ingredients from step 4, (and the extras like the white wine, tobacco sauce, chicken, and bay leaf).
6.      With the turkey cooled, tear into small pieces and drop into the big pot.
7.      Add cumin, salt/peper, and mix it all together
8.      Top with chopped cilantro.
9.      Let the whole thing simmer for about 45 minutes
10. Pull out the bay leaf (if used)
11.  Use the ladle to serve the chili into individual bowls.
12. Top with cheddar cheese, crushed saltine crackers and a dollop of the yogurt(or sour cream)and top with cilantro to prettify each serving(if desired)
13. Let cool and enjoy!
Sorry don't expect exceptional food photography skills out of me...this is as good as it gets, with my phone nonetheless.
So there you have it, the first real food post from me where I share a real recipe. Sorry I'm not a fabulous food photographer and I'm definitely not good at documenting the process in picture but the important part is here: the recipe! My picture doesn't serve it justice. Just believe my words, it's fantastic!

3 comments:

  1. Looks sooo delicious! Found you though the Almost Friday hop and love your blog! New Follower!! Can't wait for more!
    Helene in Between

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Popular Posts

Pin It button on image hover