Friday, September 21, 2012

From the BFF

This morning I'm introducing you to one of my BFFs IRL(in real life). I've known this lovely lady since the 7th grade and we became inseparable around our freshmen year of high school. She is my prayer warrior, I know that any time I ask for something in prayer she is lifting it up daily and bodly. I've witnessed her girly giggles and sweet tears. She's been there for through the hard and joyful moments. Together we've shared soo much life and it's such a joy to have her here today on my blog. She'll be sharing some of her heart today and where the more recent of life's adventures has brought her.

Without further ado, meet my bestie, Rachel:

My wedding June 2012
Hey Bloggers! My name is Rachel. I graduated this past May from Houston Baptist University. GO HUSKIES! As the cheer goes - Dawgs Up!
I have been privileged to be a part of Veronica’s life for some time now. She has been such a source of encouragement, laughter, and true friendship over the years. We have often said that it’s amazing that we have been friends this long and still so close after Veronica tragically abandoned me after high school by moving to Oklahoma. Okay maybe not the last part but still nonetheless very true. But in all seriousness God definitely gave me a friend for life when He brought us together.
When Veronica asked me to be a guest blog I kept thinking, Lord what is it that I should say. This came to mind. Something that I had written after God used having coffee with a long time friend to speak to my soul. I think this can be applicable to a lot of people because we have all had times when we struggle with contentment with where we are in life or being happy for someone even when deep down inside its kinda bittersweet because we want those same things. Currently, I am trusting God with providing the most perfect job that I know He has waiting for me. It wasn’t until that coffee time with my dear friend that I realized how much I wasn’t trusting. 
At Rache's Alma Mater: HBU  Summer 2010
A season of contentment:
At times I think God brings us to specific places with such a specific purpose in mind. Right now I think God is teaching me about contentment. Not just regular old contentment like, oh I am happy with how everything is and adding a big plastic smile after everything I say. Contentment in God and who He is and where He has me for this season/stage of life is the point I think God is trying to make me see and believe. It is so easy to become discouraged or jealous or feel that tinge of hurt when you see others receiving blessings and things that you know God has promised but it’s not your time yet.  So what do you do in times like this? Well there are several creative options I think that someone can take. 

There is option #1: Jealousy --- but what good does that do, it only nags away at your soul and makes you more miserable. It just reminds you of what you are “lacking.”
There is option #2 --- the pretending to really care and be excited along with that person --- which never really works, because if you are anything like me it only makes me feel more fake and mad.

Option #3: have a Christ like response…giant breathe and cringe…. It almost seems worse. Because how can you respond to a situation with a Christ like altitude. That seems impossible. And friends, it is, except through the power of the Holy Spirit. 

By allowing God to transform your mind and thoughts to help you see things from His perspective and not your own narrow perspective is a step towards true, freedom bringing contentment. A scripture verse that came to mind was Psalms 19:14 “May the words of my mouth and the meditations of my heart be pleasing in Your sight O LORD, my Rock and my Redeemer.” As well as 2 Corinthians 10:5 says “We demolish arguments and every pretension that sets itself up against the knowledge of God, and we take captive every thought to make is obedient to Christ.” It takes time and constantly having to give those things over to God on a daily basis.
Summer 2008 or 2009
The great thing is that He loves us so much that He wants to take those things and take our burdens. I am reminded of how in Scripture it talks about how we are to rejoice with those who rejoice. (Romans12:15a) This sometimes is the only thing that comes to my mind when I am tempted to question why something hasn’t happened sooner, when it seems that everyone else is experiencing it.
So what does it mean to rejoice with others? I think it means that we genuinely desire good things for that person. How does that happen? When we allow God to transform our minds and thoughts and allow God’s love to shine through us. It takes the focus off of our own self and puts the focus back to how God is working in each of our lives and how He is refining and molding each of our lives. Paul takes about contentment in Philippians 4. He says in verses 11- 13 “…for I have learned to be content whatever the circumstance. I know what it is to be in need, and I know what it is to have plenty. I have learned the secret of being content in any and every situation, whether well fed or hungry, whether living in plenty or in want. I can do everything through Him who gives me strength.” It is so refreshing to know that the source of my contentment doesn’t start with me.Contentment starts with the strength of our Savior. No matter the circumstance no matter the need, in every situation Christ is the ultimate source of contentment.


--------------

Now Rachel wrote this a few days ago, and wouldn't you know it, she got a call for a job offer just yesterday! God is good isn't He? I hope you enjoyed meeting my BFF IRL. She doesn't have a blog but I've been trying to convince her to work on changing that pronto, right yall?

And just in case you didn't get enough young pictures of us:

Summer Camp 2008, those are some young faces right there!
When Rachel came to visit me st OU in 2010

And a super silly picture to finish off today:
I know this is terrible quality but here is further proof of working with Santa, Rachel
worked with me the second year.
What have you been learning from the Lord lately?

What are some goofy things you and your bestie have taken pictures doing?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Popular Posts

Pin It button on image hover