Friday, February 3, 2012

"I do not just sit around and draw all day"

This morning when I got to the office I went through my usual routine of checking emails. This generally is the equivalent of reading about half of them, the ones that matter, and deleting the other half, all those Groupon and mass OU emails ( I mean seriously? No I don't want to enroll in another class, sorry I'm not going to do your random survey, and no career services you can't help me, you don't seem to understand my profession).

One of the emails I actually read was from Linked In ( if you haven't heard of it you should check it out, find me here)who understands my profession and sends me articles related to it every Friday. This Friday one of the articles was entitled, ‘Confessions Of A Designer’, What Goes On In A Designer's Mind. Well that sounded interesting to me so I opened it up, see here. Through a series of word art images they rolled through things us interiors folks think...so many good ones! Tara, Amber and I had a good ole' time laughing through them. We hung our personal favorites in the office and I put a copy at my desk as well, they're that funny.
Personal favorites:


This article reminded me of the many times people, yes possibly you, don't understand at all what we do. Say it with me now, an interior designer is not the same thing as an interior decorator. "Oh but wait they're not, you ask? Definitely not. As an interior designer, I understand much more about the actual building structure than a interior decorator. "So you don't just pick curtains and hang them up," you ask? No, absolutely not ( oh and by the way we say select).

Let's turn to infamous Wikipedia:

" [Interior Designers are responsible for] turning an interior space into an effective setting for the range of human activities that are to take place there... implies that there is more of an emphasis on Planning, Functional design and effective use of space involved in this profession... include arranging the basic layout of spaces within a building as well as projects that require an understanding of technical issues such as acoustics, lighting, temperature, etc." ---that's a lot more than hanging curtains.

compared to:

"Interior Decorator applies to those practitioners who specialize in arranging interiors in various styles"-- aka they pick and hang the curtains


Well that's all for your mini lesson. Have a great Friday everyone!

Want to learn more? Follow Shelly Zhu, she posts often about the days in the life of an interior designer student working on capstone.

3 comments:

  1. Pearls:
    -Don't assume ever that interior decorators do the same things interior designers do
    -Learn the difference, it'll be worth your while
    -Trust interior designs, and give them credit! We work hard and learn a lot more than you think in college

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would love to be an ID but I also know I would be completely overwhelmed at the kind and amount of work. Every project is so specific and different! Luckily, since were military, I'll at least get to design several of my own homes ;)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Popular Posts

Pin It button on image hover